If maintained properly, pool liners last a long time. In some cases, they can stay with you for even up to ten years or more. However, general wear and tear damages liners. When this happens, you should replace your liner immediately as a damaged liner can prove to be highly risky. The question is, how do you know that it’s time for above ground pool liner replacement?
Discussed below are a few scenarios in which home owners should go for an above ground pool liner replacement
First, pool owners should go for above ground pool liner replacement when the see that the liner has become shrunken. Pool liners are made of vinyl. The various chemicals added to pool water cause the vinyl to shrink over the years. Shrunken liners run the risk of exploding under the pressure of water. Second, it’s time for above ground pool liner replacement if your pool’s liner has developed leakages.
Though in most cases, leaking liners can be mended with the help of patches, it is not the case every time. Sometimes, it becomes extremely difficult to find the leakage point. Likewise, if you have already added too many patches to your above ground pool, it is not a good thing. In such a case, you should replace your liner with a new one. Pool owners should go for above ground pool liner replacement when it has developed either too many leakages or patches. Third, pool liners must be replaced immediately if they have developed too many cracks and tears as these damaged parts can compromise the safety of people using the swimming pool.
Above ground pool replacement is something you shouldn’t ignore. If you are seeing signs, take immediate action. In most cases, people hire a professional to do this job. However, if you are running on a tight budget, you can save some money by doing the required preliminary research. This will involve correctly measuring the pool and selecting the right pool liner. Though above ground pool liner replacement is a slightly tricky task, you will be able to accomplish a major part of it if you tread with caution and care.
Before you continue, please read our article about Above Ground Pool Repair
Follow these easy steps to do above ground pool liner replacement
1. Before you can begin with the actual process of above ground pool liner replacement, you will have to measure your pool. Here’s a tip – while measuring the wall, take the measure of the side that faces outward. If you measure the inner wall of the pool, you will get the dimensions wrong. If you have an oval or a rectangular pool, you will have to measure its length as well as the width. Once you have the proper measurement, you can start doing research on the kind of pool liner you want.
2. There are many different kinds of pool liners. If you are looking for an affordable option, go with an overlap pool liner. If you are someone who likes to remove or replace their liner from time to time, a J-hook pool liner is the best choice for you. However, if you are planning to do the entire above ground pool liner replacement project on your own, a beaded liner will be best for you. The best thing about these liners is that they are quite easy to install. If your swimming pool had a beaded liner earlier, changing the liner will become even more easy.
3. Once you have decided which pool liner you will go with during the above ground pool liner replacement process, you can start your research around liner accessories. Liner accessories are important because they grant life and durability to your liner. Not just that, they also make your pool extra safe. Floor padding and wall foam are the two most commonly used liner accessories. If you want to make your pool extra safe, you can enhance the safety features by adding an alarm.
4. Before you finally call an expert to do above ground pool liner replacement, you should check your pools for any flaws it may have. If you find any flaws, get them fixed before beginning with the actual task of liner replacement. This will save both time and money.
5. Once you have everything ready, it’s time to call an expert. Though it is possible to replace the liner on your own, it is advisable to take the help of a pro because even a small mistake made during the installation process can prove to be quite harmful for your safety.